Monday, September 6, 2010

Remembering My "Labor Days"

My friend Amy over at Amy's Finer Things is hosting a little party to share our labor and delivery stories for our babies. Well my babies are pretty big now, but I will never forget how they arrived in this world.

With my first son I went into labor 2 weeks before my due date! I know, not fair for a first timer. I had my first contraction in Joann's Fabric Store at 6:30pm on January 31. It doubled me over. Ya, I'm not kidding! My contractions continued on and got stronger and stronger. I finally called my OB and got his service. They put me through to him and he told me to go ahead to the hospital. Let me just say back labor stinks! My sister and K tried to help me out and K kept making me laugh while he was playing with the hospital bed.

They got my IV set up and I told the nurse the pain medication wasn't working. She giggled and said she hadn't given it to me yet. I remember thinking oh good, because I didn't know if I was going to make it if that was labor with the pain medication. I progressed pretty well and my water broke on a trip to the bathroom. It was funny because I stood up and it rushed out. I was able to labor okay with the family all in the room until my munchkin was born at 2:16am on February 1. I only had to push for 15 minutes and was blessed with no stitches. Z weighed in at 5lbs 12oz and was 19 inches. My little man was here!

L's labor and delivery was so very different. I had my first contraction at 9:30pm on March 3. His labor was crazy and intense. Another back labor! It was not fun. K and I headed to hospital while my parents took 3 year old Z to his other grandparents' house. We had to stop and get gas for the car and the hospital was about 45 minutes away. I was not wanting to stop, but we had to or take the chance of getting stranded. We got to the hospital and they checked me. The triage nurse had a funny look on her face. I thought great, I'm not dilated at all. She said she was going to get the charge nurse because she thought I was completely dilated! Holy smokes! They hurried me to a room and tried to get an IV set up. Three tries and no luck. They gave up and said I'd just have to deliver without an IV.

They broke my water and told me to push. I should have told them I was a really good pusher because they weren't ready for me. My blue eyed boy was born after a couple of pushes. My parents and sister hadn't even gotten to the room yet! It was just K and I there to meet little L. My family was shocked he arrived so fast. I guess I was too! L weighed in at 6lbs 7oz and was 19 1/4 inches. I was now a mama of two beautiful boys.

N's delivery was also different than his brothers. I woke up 4 weeks before his due date and was bleeding a little. I was caught off guard, so I called the midwife. She told me to go to the hospital. I knew I would be stuck once I got there so I hopped in the shower. K was trying to get the boys ready for his parents. His dad came down to our house and took the boys. I finished getting ready and K took me over to the hospital. I was 3 cm and contracting on their monitors. I wasn't really feeling anything. Since I was 4 weeks early they hooked me up to some antibiotics. I was not happy about that since I didn't really think I was that early. After my ultrasound at 20 weeks they had moved my due date by one week, but we knew better.

I had progressed to 6cm and hadn't really had any serious contractions. My poor midwife was having a migraine, but she was toughing it out with me. The hospital didn't have any beds available for my until about 12:30 pm and then my triage nurse had to stay with me when I did get a bed. My midwife said they may have to hook me up to Pitocin if things didn't pick up soon. I though, no way! My labor kicked into overdrive. At 2:30pm I was pushing on a bed that wasn't ready and my baby N was born. The midwife and nurses just stood there dumbfounded after the delivery. They had no idea when I had finished dilating. I didn't care because my baby was here. He weighed in at 6lbs 7oz and 19 1/2 inches just like his big brother!

Well those are my stories. My babies were born early and without much trouble for me. Back labor was no fun, but I kept remembering that the pain would not last forever. My babies are totally worth any pain and discomfort they caused. I am looking forward to the experience again some day!

Until next time,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by, I appreciate your words!