Happy New Year! I am so excited for 2010, I know this will be an amazing year for my family! I was trying to sit down to figure out what I thought were the most important goals for our family and myself, but I was struggling until I checked my email. I used a list from Tsh over at Simple Mom to help me get some much needed structure for my goals for 2010. She has a free downloadable list of questions to help you ring in the New Year with a plan!
This is what I came up with for myself and my family. K and I still need to fine tune it, but I think it is a solid start!
Personal growth goals:
- Trust my ability and don't downplay my successes. I struggle with looking at the growth or improvement that is happening in my life. I don't want to come off as arrogant, but I do need to remember to celebrate my own successes.
- Get my portfolio together and try to get a new teaching position in the school district in my town. This makes me nervous because I am comfortable where I am, but the commute is too much anymore. I need to just get over my insecurity and go for it!
- Continue reading as much about nutrition, frugality, and parenting as I can. I love reading anything that will help me to make my family thrive even more!
Physical Health Goals:
- Use the park and my neighborhood to become more active. Try to ride my bike 3 or more times per week. I love riding and I need to make time to go for a ride.
- Encourage the boys to go with me as often as possible. Play outside with them at home or at the park.
- Continue to cook everything I can from scratch. Making sure I am using whole foods to guide my cooking choices.
- Use our garden for nourishment and as a form of exercise. Having my hands in the dirt always makes me feel good! K and I need to sit down and plan out exactly what we want to grow this year and how much of everything. I can't wait!
- Hopefully by this time next year we will all be leaner and have more energy with the changes we have been working on already.
Marriage and Family Life Goals:
- Continue to take time to sit and talk with each other. Communication in 2009 was so much better than ever before, I can't wait to see how we do in 2010!
- Have a date night once a month once K starts his new job.
- Try to get K to be in the room when I am reading books at night to the little boys. We all love it when Dad is in the room with us too.
- Plan another trip to Legoland, but include the San Diego Zoo and Wild Animal Park this year. L and N are so into animals I think they would love it!
- Plan a couple of hiking trips in the mountains near us this spring, summer, and fall.
- Clear out the garage with a yard sale in the spring. Until then continue decluttering all of the rooms in the house.
- Get better bookshelves for the boys' rooms and repaint the rooms.
- Help Z to organize his space in a way that works for him. Remove one desk and replace it with a bookshelf.
Goals for my Children:
- I want them to continue to thrive in the classroom. Make sure they are understanding all of the concepts taught and prep them for state testing.
- More physical activity at home. Walks to the park, bike rides, scooter rides, playing tag.
- Get them a high quality microscope for use after their explorations.
- Continue to have them try new foods and expand their palates.
- Continue to work on problem solving without adult interference.
- Teach them how to do more tasks around the house. (Many hands make light work.)
- Set a firm budget and stick to it. Once we know K's new salary it will be much easier to set specific goals.
- Pay cash for everything. Have an emergency fund fully in place.
- Continue to bargain shop for anything we need. Stock up when we find a good deal.
- Look for ways to make extra money, but not take too much away from family time. Sell things we don't use or need. This helps make money and clear clutter, I love it! Maybe start I can start an Etsy shop and K continue working on his internet development company.
- Pay down debt as much as possible this year. Focus on credit cards and cars.
- Continue investing.
Well there you have it! My goals for 2010 are not too farfetched, so I think we will be able to tackle a lot of them as a family pretty easily.
Until next time,